Tree / Shrub Type
The stout, stiff branches of this pyramidal evergreen bear dark green, non-glossy, spine-tipped leaves. The female plants feature bright red berries. The evergreen fruiting branches from wild and planted trees are popular Christmas decorations. Many varieties are typically grown for ornament, shade and hedges.
- Dimensions: 15-30 feet tall, 10-20 feet wide
- Water Use: Medium to wet
- Light Requirement: Sun, Partial Shade, Shade
- Soil Moisture: Dry to moist soil
- Ornamental Use: Long-living, understory, screens, fruits ornamental, attractive, mass planting
- Wildlife: Berries attract many bird and small mammal species. Provides cover and nesting sites.