Tree / Shrub Type
A somewhat sprawling shrub with tiny lemon-scented white flowers that appear in large clusters in June. Flowers give way to clusters of black elderberry fruits in late summer that are attractive to wildlife. Fruits are sometimes used to make jams, jellies, pie fillings and elderberry wine.
- Dimensions: 5-12 feet tall, 5-12 feet wide
- Water Use: Medium to wet
- Light Requirement: Full shade to partial sun
- Soil Moisture: Medium to moist soil
- Ornamental Use: Shrub borders, screens, backgrounds, stream/pond peripheries or low spots. Good sprawling hedge.
- Wildlife: Beautiful flowers and interesting fruits attract birds and butterflies.