1. Call 811 anywhere in the U.S. (In Tennessee, you can also call 1-800-351-1111; In Georgia, you can also call 1-800-282-7411).
2. The system will confirm your state of residence.
3. Press 1 to submit a request for locating underground utilities.
4. You’ll be connected to an 811 representative who’ll ask you some questions about where you plan to dig on your property.
5. After taking your information, the representative will provide you with a confirmation number of your request. Keep this number for future reference.
6. Your local utilities will automatically be notified of your request.
7. Each utility will mark your service lines within 3-10 business days (you do not need to be present). All utilities are required to update your request online as they mark your utilities.
8. To check the status of your request, visit Tenn811.com for Tennessee addresses, and Georgia811.com for Georgia addresses, and enter the confirmation number the representative provided.